Taste of Cayman 2013
Taste of Cayman is a famous food and wine event held annually in Grand Cayman. Now in its 25th year it attracts in excess of 5,000 people and features over 45 restaurants plus local and international wines, liquors and brews.This year the event will be held on Saturday 26th January on Camana Bay’s Festival Green. As this event began in a field in the late 70’s there is a sense that it’s going back to its roots, especially with its “All things Cayman” theme which will be demonstrated through its designated area featuring Caymanian food, music, crafts and heritage.
Taste of Cayman always attracts the best restaurants and just a few of this year’s featured restaurants include Abacus, Agua, Cayman Cabana, Grand Old House, Guy Harvey's, Lobster Pot, Margaritaville, Ortanique, Prime and Tiki Beach. As well as being able to sample food from Cayman’s top restaurants, this year’s highlights also include:
Hog Sty Bay Bar – step back in time to Cayman’s Hog Sty Bay circa 1920. In this pirate themed area there will be a number of local brews and wines from around the world to sample and entertainment will be provided by Cayrock and local bands.
The Grey Goose Luxe Lounge – Mixologists will be shaking and stirring a variety of cocktails and a live DJ will be keeping people on their feet in this see and be seen area!
All Things Cayman Area and Stage – this central area will be a celebration of all things Caymanian where you can enjoy the following:
- Bon Vivant Demonstration Kitchen – Cayman chefs will be sharing traditional Caymanian recipes and local ingredients with live cooking demonstrations. Recipe cards will also be handed out so you can try your new cooking skills at home.
- Seven Fathoms Mixology Competition – contestants will compete to create their signature drink. The winner will be crowned Cayman’s top mixologist and receive a trophy plus a 20 litre barrel of rum.
- Live music – relax or dance the night away listening to traditional Caymanian sounds brought to you by local bands and musicians.
- Live Cultural Demonstrations – Caymanian students will be showing off their traditional Caymanian craft skills such as thatch weaving, rope twisting, kite making and more.
- Heavy Cake Competition – Watch a panel sample the best Cayman heavy cakes made by local bakers from three ingredients; cassava, coconut milk and brown sugar. The competition draws attention to what was once a widespread Caymanian tradition and the winner will receive a $300 prize.
If that wasn’t enough there will be a photo booth in which to grab some friends and have your photo taken in culinary-esque costumes, Cayman’s Best Restaurant competition, fireworks and the opportunity to catch up and socialise with old and new friends. This fun and unique event is truly one of the best community events in Cayman and shouldn’t be missed!
Advanced tickets cost CI$35 for an adult and CI$15 for a child (ages 5-12). Tickets include entry to the festival as well as 14 food tickets to use at the restaurant booths. Drink ticket packs cost CI$25 and include a commemorative Taste of Cayman wine glass. The event starts at 5pm and goes to 11.45pm.
For more information and to buy tickets visit www.tasteofcayman.org